Menu Planning and Applied Nutrition
QQI Award Level 5
The aim of the programme is to provide learners with the knowledge and understanding to develop different types and styles of menus for varying uses.
On completion on this programme participants will:
- Understand the influences of tradition, culture and trends on menu planning.
- Be able to develop different types and styles of menus for varying uses.
- Understand the principal nutrients in food and the functions, features and food sources of each nutrient.
- Be able to compile a range of menus to suit different types of meals for different categories of customers.
- Understand the role of nutrients in relation to diseases including obesity, heart disease and cancer.
Who should attend:
This programme is suitable for those interested in how food affects healthy living, planning menus for people with special dietary requirements.
The following areas will be covered:
- Nutritional influences on Menu Planning
- Food Nutrition Principles
- Nutrition’s role in Healthy Eating
- Emerging food trends including Genetically Modified Foods etc.
60% Examination – Theory